I’m sure we’ve all asked ourselves the question – Am I Creative? Usually when we’re blocked or stuck or can’t seem to make any headway. So, how can you tell if you really are creative or if you’re actually just a creative wasteland?
“ But, I’m just not creative…”
“I wasn’t born with any creative talent… I’m not right-brained enough…”
How many times have we heard others say this or even said it about ourselves? Most people seem to think creativity is a blessing bestowed upon a lucky few who have an almost magical ability to create beautiful drawings; dance with the light feet of Astaire; write engrossing fiction; or sing like an angel (ah, Charlotte Church!)!
But, I’m just not buying it!
I’m not saying that the truly great creative people aren’t hugely talented, incredibly able, and immersed in their craft. What I am saying is that we are all creative, but we unlearn how to connect with our creativity.
When we are kids, we are fearless…
We produce ‘artworks’ by the dozen expecting all of them to go on the fridge in a proud display! We ask questions, we write stories, we put on plays, we sing, we dance – but somewhere along the line, our fear of being judged gets stronger than the joy we take from the activities.
Suddenly, it only becomes worthwhile if we are ‘good at it’; can achieve praise for it; or even earn money for selling it! Unless those conditions are met, we decide it’s pointless, we’re not creative, put the crayons away and focus on that spreadsheet – like a grown-up!!!!
Being creative purely for the sake of it, without any expectation of praise, compensation or reward requires us to be vulnerable – even with ourselves.
We have become so tied up with the need for all our outcomes to be excellent or “why bother?”, that we can’t bear to produce something less than perfect – even if we are the only people who will ever see it!
The Sacral Chakra
The Sacral Chakra is the second Chakra – one up from the Root or Base Chakra – and is just below your belly button. It resonates with the warm orange of the setting sun and is the source of all our creative energy – even our sexuality (for women). There are all kinds of ‘drives to create’, right?!
Much of the time, creative blocks, lack of connection, and inability to experience joy in an activity purely for the sake of it, begin here. What’s unclear is whether lack of creativity happens because the Sacral Chakra is blocked… or if a blocked Sacral Chakra creates the ‘lack of creativity’.
It doesn’t really matter! Whichever came first (chicken or egg?!), activating and soothing the energy in this Chakra can unleash all kinds of creativity; help us to find joy in creative activities; and encourage us to feel the enthusiasm of childhood again.
What is creativity, anyway?
The Sacral Chakra is also the seat of our joy, enthusiasm, and desire. I don’t believe this is an accident – joy, enthusiasm, flow, getting ‘lost’ in activity – are so often tied up with our creativity.
As is our ability to be vulnerable. Which I believe is the key! If we can find the courage to do something to the best of our ability and still understand and accept that it might be totally crap and not care?
Well, that is true creative freedom!
And what constitutes creativity anyway?
Here’s a list of some of the things I think are creative, but you can probably come up with loads more:
- Singing, dancing, drawing, painting, creative writing, performing, ‘all the craft things’ – yada, yada – all the usual stuff, but what about…
- Making a great tasting meal from random stuff you found in the cupboard because you haven’t go the energy to go shopping!
- Organising all your vinyl in an elegant, colour coded system!
- Coming up with a great excuse for not going to that party because you really fancy curling up by the fire!
- Coming up with new ways of looking at and solving all kinds of problems.
- Coaching a sports team – you need to be able to see the big picture, visualise and predict outcomes – sounds pretty creative to me!
- That guy down the pub who keeps everyone on the edge of their seats with his great (if a little ‘tall’) stories!
- Connectors, facilitators, and networkers in all walks of life!
- That woman at the bus stop who’s contouring is always perfect!
- Every small businessperson – ever!
So, you see – we’re all creative – deep down somewhere! It doesn’t have to be about who can draw the most lifelike version of your dog in charcoals!
Supporting your Sacral Chakra
If you feel you would like to connect more with your creativity and support your Sacral Chakra, you can try the following simple tools:
- Wear orange – and shine!
- Use Sacral Chakra affirmations: “I feel and honour my creativity”; “I feel joy”; “I am creative”; “I feel inspired”. If that feels like a bit of a ‘leap’, my favourite one at the moment is:
“I am willing to try…”
- Try something new – take a pottery class, take some photos, dust off the sewing machine – remember to detach from the outcome – cut yourself some slack – it’s something new – it doesn’t need to be perfect!
- Visualise your Sacral Chakra and whole body bathed in warm orange light and energy.
- And of course, take a warm, comfortable bath or shower with your Sacral Chakra Soap for Sensuality & Joy. Connect to the energy, the scent, the colour, and feel of the soap on your skin. Take a few mindful moments and surround yourself with calm, joy, and luxury. Feels great, doesn’t it?
So, there you have it…
Do your Sacral Chakra a favour and connect with your creativity, you’ll feel better for it and you might even discover a new activity you love! My favourite book about creativity is Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic – definitely worth checking out if you haven’t read it.
I’d love to hear if you try any of these tips to connect wth your creativity more fully – drop me a message and let me know!
I love taking every opportunity to support my Chakra energy and that’s why I created Shine Body & Bath – to support everyone looking for a powerful, but accessible, way to strengthen their energy, raise their vibration, and live a more harmonious life – and enjoy using luxurious body and bath products while they do it! It’s a win-win!
So, if you fancy going a little deeper, download our Shine Soap Selector and find out which of our Chakra Soaps is perfect for you – indulge in this unique and mindful way to support your energy from Root to Crown.
But if that’s not your thing? No problem – they’re also great for washing!